To treat bronchoconstriction component of asthma, works by relaxing tight airways (coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing).
Short acting bronchodilators: (4-6 hours):
1. Albuterol (generic), ProAir HFA, Ventolin HFA, Proventil HFA
2. MaxAir Autohaler
3. Combivent (ipatropium bromide and albuterol) used more as a bronchodilator and to dry up secretions.
4. Xopenex HFA – (levalbuterol) lasts 6 – 8 hours and typically doesn’t make patients have tremors like Albuterol tends to.
Long acting bronchodilators: (12 hours) These are never used alone to treat asthma.
1. Serevent Diskus (salmeterol)
2. Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol)